Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Back On the 24/7

Well, work at Rhythm and Hues Studios over the past few weeks has finally felt like all my other computer graphics jobs. That is, I have been shackled to my desk for hours on end. It seems to have been a long time coming. We are on "work as much as humanly possible" mode at the moment trying to finish all our work for "The Chronicles of Narnia" to the highest standard possible before our looming deadline arrives towards the end of the month. I have been here since mid-march and it is a testiment to the relative sanity of this studio, and the fine folks running it, that only now am I posting this comment. This gig at R&H has been the closest thing to a 9 to 5 job I have ever had in computer graphics. I have to admit to feeling quite conflicted about it. While Meg was here it was certainly nice to be able to guarrantee her I'd be home at a certain time. That hasn't happened a lot in my career. But, as it turns out I took a big cut in pay due to the relative lack of over time hours here. It made Los Angeles seem a lot more expensive to me as a result I guess. I am not at all apprehensive about leaving R&H because I know that there are great challenges waiting ahead. But, I will "miss it." It has a tremendous "studio vibe and culture" and a relative lack of egotistical behaviour that has been great. Like an oasis in an otherwise not very admirable city. Easy to leave Los Angeles, not so easy o leave Rhythm and Hues!

No comments: