Friday, February 23, 2007

Tax Time in Canada

Rick Mercer is up to his usual fine level of comedy regarding tax season in Canada. The thing is - he not far off at all! As you may know I have traveled extensively since about 2003, nearly always working my ass off during the travel. This has created an inevitable trickle down of difficulties when filing taxes. Now, I have been 'good about it' always filing... Or so I thought! And paying good money to have things taken care of... Or so I thought! Recently, upon returning to Canada from the United States I have had a litany of re-filing, splitting incomes, claiming foreign tax credits, etc. What is always funny to me is how your great accountants - who really do a great job - inevitably find a way to save you $4000.00 and the charge you $3500.00. "Hey man," they say "at least you're up $500.00." When you're thinking - but aren't you up $3500.00? And they are the 'good guys' in this case. There's the government don't forget - Canada Revenue Agency! Good god these people really need to redo the plumbing man! I can not tell you how difficult it has been to simply file an adjustment to my 2005 tax return and claim the Canada Child Tax Benefit. More letters than I can count and every time to a different person! Cripes! Anyway... I forge ahead. Only to find out I inadvertantly forgot to file my 2004 taxes. Egad! I had them all prepared, and then due to a bizarre set of circumstances... They were never sent. Of couse, this will be my fault.

No comments: