Sunday, June 03, 2007

El Gran Pueblo

Madrid... What can I say? I feel like I know the city a little bit now that we have been there quite often and it seems to be like another possible home... Yet, as evidenced by Meg's father's cousin Marcelino's tour of central Madrid - I don't. One night during our stay we went out for an evening stroll and tapas with Marcelino and it was illuminating to say the least. This is the kind of thing that you just cannot pay for... Local, biased knowledge of "what's good." We visited about 5 tapas bars all in the area between Opera, La Calle Baja & La Latina. We stopped in for one or two tapas each time and a simple, small "caƱa" of red wine. I must say that all the walking definitely wore off the effects of the food and drink because every time we stopped I was starving and thirsty! This trip through El Gran Pueblo was a little more complicated with Mateo being along for the ride, but he was a champion traveler and it was I that fell ill with some kind of nasal infection. Methinks it was a classic combination of the ole "we're finally here, I can relax now" phenomenon as well as our crazy hectic schedule in London (to say nothing of the madness at work before I left!). Still we managed to get around with Meg's mama and Mateo and see quite a few of our favourite spots in the city. I have said often to people: Madrid is like a soft boiled egg. Somewhat difficult to assess at first glance, and like Paris somewhat difficult to access, but once you crack your way in... It is a warm and inviting place indeed.

No comments: