Sunday, February 20, 2005

Los Angeles Bound

So looks like we are going to have to brush up on our Californian! Watz crackin yo? We ain't kickin like dat no mo! Pho sho!

We are off to Los Angeles and I am going to work at Rhythm and Hues. I picked up a lighting technical director gig on "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe." I am really excited since it is a nice project (one of the big three Christmas films for 2005 along with the fourth Harry Potter film and Peter Jackson's take on King Kong), and it will take me through to the end of October at least. The people at R+H told me that they would be busy right the way through to May 2006. So, it looks like a grand opportunity to take advantage of all that Los Angeles has to offer. With luck, we will score a pad somewhat near the beach and within bicycle commuting distance to and from work. Pretty cool, given the "drive-a-holic" culture down there.

I was really hoping that we'd land in San Francisco this year, but it looks as though we will have to delay that for a little while. I just think that Meg and I are more San Francisco type people (to say nothing of the fact that we are very Vancouver type people!). I am much more enamorate of the hippie-geek style of San Francisco than the Hollywood-smaltz of Los Angeles. That being said, I know that we will find the best of what Los Angeles has to offer. I am still pretty disappointed that I got not so much as a whisper in the wind from the San Francisco studios. I sincerely hope that this will change with the ILM move getting settled, even though it may mean less jobs, perhaps they will be more stable ones. Perhaps 2004/5 will go down in the visual effects industry in San Francisco as "the malaise before the move."

Meg is excited too. Especially about somehow getting herself some quality exposure to the Latino community in some way - teaching English, continuing to work doing translations, or even perhaps teaching Spanish in the school system. She has been talking about wanting to watch "Stand and Deliver." I am sure we will both enjoy the weather, and the lifestyle for a while, but I am sure we will miss the north in a year's time and move when opportunity strikes! Not too mention our friends and family in Vancouver and Victoria. At least we will only be a few hours away by plane! Anyone interested in a visit and some time on the beach?

No comments: