Friday, July 08, 2005

Baby Nia and The Vangroovey!

Last weekend featured a visit home to Vancouver and a trip to Victoria to meet my niece Nia for the first time! It really was quite incredible to "look the next generation square in the eye." A totally astounding experience. Seeing my sister and her "pal" Gord caring for an infant was a mind blower and they looked as impressed with themselves as they were with their little offspring Nia. I can only imagine what my mother and father must be feeling as the importance of the arrival of baby Nia will most definitely be exaggerated for them... Little Nia was just a true pleasure hangin' with the old folks and very well behaved! I'd have to say that she's just gonna be a little peach of a kid. Meg and I indeed had a lovely couple of days just hanging out with our now slightly expanded family! It even included picking fresh Tay Berries from my mom's backyard and eating them in a pie the very same day! How's that for down home treatment? Not so bad indeed!

As well, I can only say that it felt amazing to be back in Vancouver. I just love the place and I didn't want to leave! It feels so diverse and interesting compared to Los Angeles! Why did I ever leave? Just kidding, the past few years have been a wonderful, though stressful, experience. Lately I have really realized that for me, I do not need the "ego" of being in a place like Los Angeles, working at a big name studio or whatever... I mean, it is great and Rhythm and Hues has been wonderful exposure to a cool studio with an amazing vibe (as was ESC Ent. and The Moving Picture Company), but to me, if I am interested in what I am doing and struggling to do nice things at work, and I am with good people who respect each other, and there is a balance in my life... This is great and the most desirable thing. A lot of people who may be in London, or in Los Angeles, will never achieve this in my opinion... It is just impossible. These "centers" are incredible places to go to experience the pinnacle (if you are so lucky) of your field, but not places to call "home" necessarily. There are just too many demands and complications.

That being said, I don't think I could have gotten to this phase in my life/career without going far away to
work on these big projects, because I had to "go through it." This is a real personal truth as well. This knowledge comes after working at some big name studios. Also, what I have learned is that when I do get frustrated, or I feel the need for the "big time" Meg has the will to travel and we can do it. I am going to love being back in my home city eventually, and I feel very grateful that it is Vancouver, more than I ever have.

No comments: