Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Atmospheric City of Perpetual Change


A funny and somewhat unpredicted result of moving back north to Canada from Los Angeles this year has been the number of people both here in Vancouver and down south who have asked me "so, will you miss the weather?" It is quite true that California has a generally lovely Mediterranean temperament when it comes to the weather. Especially, in my opinion, the north of California. But, what I found surprising was how although I appreciated very much the consistently dry roads while riding my bike, I found the weather in Los Angeles to be, well, a bit boring. I thought it would be cool to combine a few images from a local webcam to illustrate this point. Within the relatively short period of time that I was living there I found myself really missing the atmospheric sense of the weather you have in the north. I missed the clouds and the play of light that they bring. The sense of things changing, and time passing. Wind. Stuff like that. There is a "day to day" consistency about the weather in Los Angeles that people there love. It is in fact a reason why people move there! By comparison, in the past week in Vancouver we have gone from socked in seemingly perpetual fog, to brilliant clear and cold (it is the end of November after all), to the first snow fall of the year. This extraordinary change is what I missed. A sense of the unpredictable. Well, all this to say I am glad it is back and well, no complaints from me about the rain and snow this year. I promise!

1 comment:

[The User] said...

I am actively trying to get a job in Singapore and if it actually happens I know that consistency vs. unpredictability will definitely be a big part of the experience.