Thursday, December 08, 2005

25 Years Ago Today


The strange thing is that although I was only ten years old, I vividly remember driving in the car with my mom when the CBC News broadcaster said something like "John Lennon, the singer, songwriter, former Beatle and peace activist was shot to death outside his New York apartment today." Not only that but I remember my mom gasping in horror, and me asking her "why would a man do that to him?" I don't recall the answer. Today, as I heard the CBC broadcaster remind listeners "25 years ago today..." I couldn't help but think of the first time I heard The Beatles "The White Album" and realized that almost everything that I listened to and loved in rock music "came from there." And also how relevant I think John Lennon and his moral center still is today. Especially today. I found this great quote from Norman Mailer just now.

"I have hidden myself in work today. But it keeps flashing in my mind. I feel shattered, angry and very sad. It's just ridiculous. He was pretty rude about me sometimes, but I secretly admired him for it, and I always managed to stay in touch with him. There was no question that we weren't friends, I really loved the guy. I think that what has happened will in years to come make people realize that John was an international statesman. He often looked a loony to many people. He made enemies, but he was fantastic. He was a warm man who cared a lot and with the record Give Peace A Chance helped stop the Vietnam War. He made a lot of sense."

So, in honour of the Statesman Who Never Was... STOP THE WAR! GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!

No comments: