Sunday, May 14, 2006

Walshman Versus Portman

So... The Walshman faced-off against the power that is known as "The Portman" recently during an a trip east to The New York of Canada (yes, I mean Toronto...) for some on-set visual effects supervision duties on this film. Always an interesting thing "meeting a star." First, there's the meeting, which invariably you are much more uncomfortable with than they are, isn't really a meeting at all. In this case, I was staring down at a crossword puzzle folded on a chair (yes, the secret is out... on-set work is often that boring!) when a voice said "if you can do any better than me, go right ahead." No, in fact I could not add anything to Ms. Portman's efforts in this regard, and so I informed Ms. Natalie of this fact and then promptly resumed "minding my own damned business." It is an odd circumstance indeed to see a large group of people in a condensed area all trying desperately "not to bother someone." Yet, it somehow all functions like a greased wheel. The director ponders the scene largely from a secure location via a monitor, the assistant director bellows orders, the cinematographer instructs the grip, the grip issues the communication to the crew, etc. Like a modern fiefdom. Nothing new I suppose, but it did prohibit the ultimate showdown from going down.

No comments: