Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sleepy Hollow... Again!

Every once in a while I will catch a few moments of a film on television in the evening, and somewhat rarely these days, I am inspired. Although in summation, Tim Burton's take on "Sleepy Hollow" didn't live up to my expectations... The rushed and somewhat silly ending, the odd choice of jokey lines here and there... When I see it now I almost always respond the same way. "God, that's gorgeous!" The film is an absolute triumph of art direction and production design provided by Rick Heinrichs and crew. My mind spins immediately into a myriad of personal projects I might undertake to explore that look and feel. There really are so many amazing aspects to the way the world of the film is created and unified throughout. From the physical town location that was actually built, to the forced perspective backdrops on the huge stage sets, to the spectacularly realized forest set - I love it all. It is a film that truly takes advantage of that which only film can deliver, the visual authority of a history painting, only one better - because the image moves! And tonight, having been reminded of a few stunning moments during this film, my belief in the medium is restored. If only for a night. Thank you Mr. Burton!

No comments: