Monday, September 06, 2004

Back to The Big Smoke

Just like that! We are back to London. Meg and I have arrived safe and sound for another "tour of duty" in Europe. Our holidays were very busy in hindsight, however, and we are both feeling the effects of our schedule and all of the travel we did while on holidays. I guess for this reason the jet-lag and general fatigue has been more noticeable this time around. We have both been exhausted, spontaneously waking up at 4 a.m. and staring at the walls (and each other). Hopefully regular hours and some excercise will solve all our problems.

Coming back to London feels a bit weird. It is not home, but it feels somehow familiar now having spent the past several months living and working in central London. I am also reminded of all the expense and limitations of living in a big city. I wonder if Meg will feel the same when she is off to Madrid in late September? I have to admit the constant busy hum of the city was very present last night as we tried to fall off to sleep. I found myself yearning for the relative tranquility of our neighbourhood in Vancouver, or better yet, absolutely soft silence of "Chez Wain" in Deep Cove, Saanich. The most resounding thing to me on returning for some time to Vancouver was the ease which people are able to do things. The routine, in other words. On a lot of levels Vancouver has both the pleasures of a city and a bit of small town feel that is really endearing. Oh yeah, and if we're lucky and support them, some of the best independent cafes I have ever been to including Europe!!! Ciao Liberty Bakery! Ciao Calabria Caffe!

On the other hand I am quite pleased to be back. I have a great project to work on (Kingdom of Heaven, who would have thought I would be returning to work on a Ridley Scott film?), Meg and I have some interesting travel plans for the fall (Barcelona, Santiago de Compostela, possibly Italy), and we don't have any hassles of moving into or finding accommodations. Relatively speaking, we are well set up to enjoy a fall of living, working, and traveling in Europe.

No comments: