Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Cambridge Sausage

It was Greg Scherkoske's 35th birthday this past week. Happy Birthday Greg! Greg's wife Margaret, being the fine Canadian lass that she is, set up a lovely little back yard garden barbecue party at their place in Cambridge. The flat is called Malting Cottage, on Malting Lane, which is so named for the old brewery building that it runs alongside. In fact, the funky old building has been converted into their nice loft-ish lay out flat, and an architect's office next door, among other things. Much to my surprise and delight, G&M laid out copious bottles of wine (including some excellent selections from their recent trip to Italy) and cooked up sausage galore on the BBQ!!! Not to mention some delicious salads. It was quite the feast! We even had a sausage with bits of apple in it that I dubbed the "desert sausage!" I was reminded of the old days when I was living with Mike Pearce in the "Crazy Harry Fire Trap" on 25th avenue in Vancouver and we would throw "sausage parties." Although they may have lacked the sophisticated setting of this fiesta, they were a highlight on the social calendar of all our lady friends of the day, of course! My gift to Greg was courtesy of some deliberate "re-gifting" at the request of Mike. He had sent me a t-shirt emblazoned with the visage of one of my favorite Vancouver haunts - Calabria Caffe - for my birthday, and to remind me of home. As it turns out, I already had one given to me as a gift by Frank Sr. the owner of Calabria. Mike and I thought that Greg was a worthy recipient of such a prized item having frequented the cafe during his tenure in Vancouver. As a result, Greg and I can now both spread the word about the best damned Italian Cafe outside of Italy!!! Yeah!

No comments: