Saturday, March 05, 2005

Going Wild At The Kino Cafe!

Last night we had a great outing at the Kino Cafe on Cambie Street in Vancouver. Meg and I had invited a random group of friends to come to meet us at the cafe for some "bebidas, musica y charla." The Kino Cafe is a special spot in the context of Vancouver I think because in my experience it is a rare room with all the atmosphere of a great cafe in Madrid, Barcelona, or any little Spanish town for that matter! Just transported half way around the world! Its simple low stage offers live music, it has a casual tapas menu, and drinks or coffee, dinner or desert attitude. I love the place, and especially on "Flamenco Nights" when it is packed with poeple and local purveyors of the craft take to the little stage. Last night was exceptional. A solo male vocalist, a single guitar and a single stunning and talented female dancer. They lit up the room with three impassioned sets of songs and some seriously heart warming stomping. Some of the folks who had not been there before went nuts for it and it was great to see. It was just amazing to see a sampling of people for all corners of our lives meeting together and having an amazing, fun and casual time. Although at one point, as my buddy Jeremy Mesana craftily pointed out "it looks like freakin' high school in here man! All the hot chick teachers are sitting together chatting while us chump computer nerds are stuck in the corner talking about work!" After that, he slide over to the "girl's side" and said in a sly voice "I try to pretend I am interested in what these nerds are talking about, but I am actually bored out of my mind..." What a jerk! Buckley showed up sick and left drunk and before he realised one of the hot chick teachers had the hots for him! You snooze, you lose Bucko! Miko stayed out far past his "father of two" bedtime and looked none the worse for it! Bucket (et entourage) showed up, thus completely dashing all hopes that THE G would grace us with his presense. Those two are like oil and vinegar. Bucket and Mesana insisted that we should close the place down, but after a couple of shots Bucket was slurring his words and mumbling "I gotta go home man, look at me, I am old! I should be in bed!" We had no choice but to agree! Thanks to everybody who showed up and made the night enjoyable! Here's hoping we do it again sometime soon!

No comments: