Thursday, March 17, 2005

I am wearing green underpants!

From one pseudo-Irishman to the world: Happy Saint Patrick's Day people! I learned a while ago that the Gaelic spelling of Walsh is actually (strange though it may seem) Breathnach or Brannagh. In Gaelic, this means "Irish Foreigner" or "Welsh Irishman." I guess this is why the majority of the Walshes in Ireland are from the south - places like Millstreet, near Macroom, where my family originated. The south was the place that the Welsh came ashore to trade and what not and the folks attempting an invasion of jolly ole England staged their plans. I believe there were Spanish sailors who became permanent Irishmen when they were washed ashore at some point. I read How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill and I highly recommend it, though it seems I can't remember much now! Yeesh! Walsh is something like the fourth most popular last name in Ireland. The Smith or Brown of Ireland. Click here for a nice big picture of the Walsh family crest! Cheers, and drink up lads!

No comments: