Monday, April 18, 2005

Mandeville Canyon Road

Last weekend one of the dudes I was riding with out on PCH told me to check out Mandeville Canyon Road as a regular midweek "value ride." Value because of the fact that it is a comparatively secluded canyon road in the Hollywood Hills, thus having less traffic and better air quality, and it has a gradually increasing uphill grade for about 7 miles. Perfect for the 90:00 minute out and back before work. So, today I decided that Meg and I should check it out. Great idea. It was just as billed. A strangely secluded groove in the hills that allows the avid cyclist a little choice uphill canyon action (and downhill fun for that matter on the way back) super close to home if you live in the north west of the city. Lots of posh houses and hidden driveways no doubt housing garages full of vintage sports cars line the road and provide plenty of distracting eye candy. It is the regular haunt of the whole range of cyclismos in Los Angeles f from the 50kms per weeker all the way up to the 300kms per weeker. You get to see the full cross section of cycling society on this road. By the way, I am thinking of joining Velo Club La Grange while I am in Los Angeles. They run regular rides in my area and have a good following with competitive and non-competitive (that's me!) riders.

No comments: