Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Ghetto-copter Flies At Night!

Last night I woke up abruptly to the "chop! chop! chop!" sound of a Los Angeles Police Department Helicopter flying low over Venice Beach. I suppose it was my fault for having the window on the south side of my apartment open, but nonetheless, the sound was really loud and it woke me up. I went to the window and since my apartment is sort of higher up on a knoll in Ocean Park I could look down on Venice Beach. Sure enough there was the much heard about but seldom seen"mysterious ghetto-copter." It arrived to the scene of an ongoing crime like a ficticious beast descending on its prey. Cherry top lights flashing in the night gloom with a big bright beam cutting downward to earth through the amber haze searching the ground below. It went around and around and around. Occasionally some kind of announement would spew forth like "Do not attempt to run! The dogs are trained to bite!" Circling and circling it carried on for sometime and it was a while before I dozed off to sleep once more. When I woke up in the morning, I was still wondering if the surrealism of the images from the middle of the night were at all real... A strange, but apparently "essentially L.A." experience. I believe I'll be just fine with leaving Los Angeles without seeing the fabled "ghetto-copter" again, thank you very much! Spooky man!

No comments: