Saturday, August 27, 2005

Moving Makes You Question Moving

The amazing thing to me about moving is that every aspect of it makes you question why on earth you ever undertook the ridiculous venture in the first place... Why am I moving again? Why can't I just leave everything where it is? It is not bothering anyone! It makes you say to yourself "I am not so sure that humans are inherently nomadic afterall!" Even in the comfortable circumstances that I found myself in today, where I had a representative from a company whose sole job it is to take your 'stuff' from one location to another directing the entire process, I found myself wanting at every moment to just light everything on fire so that I could say "whoops! I guess there's nothing to move then! eh?" Stuff. Even though the moving guy told me that we have "less than average" for a married couple I can't think that we have anything but too much of it! It is indeed a hilarious contradiction that when you are staring at all your stuff, displaced from it "place in the world," and struggling to come to grips with the enormity of your materialism, that you somehow come to legitmize every last thing you have. "Hey man, I need that stuff!" "People should never be defined by their stuff" I say to myself. But then again, have we not always? Do cave paintings qualify as stuff? Do Haida totems classify as the Haida's "stuff?" Seems weird to say that my new television and DVD recorder are on the same fundamental level as a totem pole. But, hey, maybe they are? The problem is that stuff keeps people in place. People should have the freedom to move, the freedom to roam without limitations, and national borders, etc. And maybe they would... if it weren't for all their stuff.

No comments: