Monday, September 19, 2005

All for a "tortilla de papas!"

The other day "mi companiero del piso" (room-mate) Raul Sanchez Ortega had a bit of a Spanish-style spazz attack whilst realizing that he had not had any "real Spanish food" for almost a year. I believe he said something like: "Estoy hasta las narizes con esta puta mierda comida rapida en Los Estados Unidos joder!" which basically translates as "I have had it up to my eyeballs with this crap American food!" So, I said, hey man, calm down, no worries, this City of Angels is what? 12 million people? Somebody out there has got to be running a Spanish restaurant with "real Spanish food." So we took to the computer and searched for such a place and low and behold we found a place in Glendale called "Spain Restaurant." Not exactly an appetizing name, but I thought, what the hell. Let's find that sucker and head on over there for some tapas. So, that's what we did. Although in doing so I once again confirmed a realization I have had about my "L.A. experience." It is not representative of the city at all... I live and work in the posh and gentile confines of the west side nearly always within sight or sound of the Marina and the beaches. This is a mere sliver of an existence. There is a heck of a lot of "yuck" out there. Due to my inherent fear of the highway (and Veronica sharing that fear) we set out to find Glendale Avenue via city streets... Before long we were lost in the abyss-like grid of Hollywood traveling slowly eastward. As I sat in the back of Raul's open jeep I thought to myself "why am I so freakin' cold!? Is this not he sunshine state? And am I not Canadian?" To cut a long story short, the ride was horrendously long and the scenery foreboding. 30 miles of concrete and low lying buildings. When we finally arrived at our chosen destination we were starving, which I have to admit helped he flavours of the food! But, the food itself was great, even if the restaurant was slightly on the sketchy side. Sort of a half take-out, half eat-in place just stuck on the side of a nondescript five-laner. Typical of L.A. We happily ate tortilla de papas, gambas al ajillo, chorizo asado en vino tinto, ensalada de Rusa, etc. All the while fearing the return journey across town... Raul has voluntarily decided not to be so touchy about the food.

No comments: