Tuesday, September 20, 2005

It rained...

Normally, this would not be worthy of note, but today it is... It rained in Los Angeles for the first time since I arrived in March. No kidding. There has not been one single drop of rain the entire time. People went nuts out there today. Film dailies were cancelled in the morning due to the rain! No word of a lie! I didn't see anyone at all riding into work like me (well, not that I see a lot of people anyway in the SUV Culture Capital of the word, mind you) and I got to work people said things like "did you really ride to work in the rain?!" "Did you get wet?!" and "Are you hurt?!" It was hilarious. As I woke up to a by now unfamiliar sound of rainfall I was over-joyed! I couldn't believe my reaction as I gleefully hopped on my bike to "ride in the rain" to work. Totally childish but true! I was thinking, what a foreshadowing of my impending move north to Vancouver! There is so much "negative press" about the north down here is it silly. People say all kinds of stuff without having any idea! The funny thing is here are the real statistics:

Los Angeles Annual rainfall: 380mm (15 inches)
San Francisco Annual rainfall: 508mm (20 inches)
Seattle Annual rainfall:
914mm (36 inches)
Vancouver Annual rainfall: 1117mm (44 inches)

"Good Lord," I said to myself Vancouver is "only 3 times as rainy as Los Angeles!?" What the hell? Would you have thought that the rainfall in Los Angeles was "more than half of that in San Francisco?" I wouldn't have. Here I was believing in all the hype... Maybe now I won't feel so bad when the Pacific Ocean annually attempts to relocate onto dry land in Vancouver. Dark days of winter here I come! I suppose that the rainfall in Vancouver falls over quite a few more actual days of the year which makes it feel like more rain... When it is raining outside I guess that's all that counts in people's minds, not the actuall amounts.

What I have found amusing living in Los Angeles is that the sun worshippers here absolutely cringe at the idea of being caught out in any sort of weather aside from beaming sunshine. They simply can not function in anything otherwise. Truth be told I have really enjoyed the weather in Los Angeles, but I can't say that the weather in general is something that "gets me out of bed in the morning" you know? I guess that comes from growing up soaking wet all the time and it not bothering you. Either that, or my "bred for the North Atlantic" Irish blood. Whatever the case, I can't stand the "sun or nothing" attitude down here. I think I am one of those "I need to feel the change of seasons people." I have had so many memorable times due to being "out in the weather" and I wouldn't trade those memories for any number of sure fire sunny days.

No comments: