Thursday, April 15, 2004

Mi Cumpleaños!

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes yesterday! Old Man Walsh got a little older - though I might try to deny it, the past few days of riding have given me a fairly hefty reality check! Where did all the power go!? I wonder, did I leave it under my desk in London???

I started "my day" with a good long sleep in, and then walked into town to meet Megcita for lunch at Plaza Olavide (which incidentally is my favourite haunt in Madrid of late). We had a nice long lunch in a very sunny spot, with good food, and of course "una caña de cerveca." Meg studied her Spanish homework and did some class preparation and I studied a little Spanish before returning to the book I am reading. Meg went into work for a bit and I lounged about before we walked home together in the gorgeous late afternoon sun. We met up with Maria (our roomate) who had just returned from her Semana Santa holidays in Puerto de Santa Maria (near Cadiz) and headed out to a tapas bar in the O'Donnel area recommended by Bart Boere. Great tapas, a liberal smapling of "vino tinto" and of course great conversation was had by all. It is truly the one great thing about Madrid. How the tapas bars are so lively and casual, with a good crowd, and inclusive to anyone walking in off the street. Everytime, without fail when the door opened and a new face appeared the bar keeps called out "¡Hola! Buenos noches!" All in all, a really fun and relaxing day! Don't I wish every day was like this one!!! Meggi has promised me dinner and a movie for tomorrow night so the celebrations still carry on!

No comments: